Check the current Stop & Shop Weekly Ad and don’t miss the best deals from this week's Ad!
Browsing the weekly flyers of Stop & Shop has never been easier. Now, you can find all weekly sales and ads in one place! Check it out and save hundreds of dollars!
Stop & Shop - The history
Solomon and Jeanie Rabinowitz in Somerville, Mass founded Stop & Shop in the year 1914. The company was named the Economy Grocery Stores Company. The company revolutionized grocery shopping by introducing the concept of self-service at a supermarket within its first four years of operation. In 1947, the company was officially renamed Stop & Shop; by then the chain had grown to 86 supermarkets in the northeast.
It started stores in Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York and Rhode Island. Its stores went from being 30,000-square-foot supermarkets to 45,000- to 80,000-square-foot superstores by 1982.
The Stop & Shop superstores, unlike traditional supermarkets, featured bakeries, expanded deli departments, pharmacies, cafes, salad bars and, in some cases, banks, expanded liquor and beer sections, and even video rentals. Shoppers would ultimately find Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts outlets inside specific Stop & Shop supermarkets. For two decades following the establishment of the first superstore, all of the Stop & Shop stores were turned into superstores.
Stop & Shop continued to expand after Ahold USA bought the company in 1995 and re-branded two of its chains under the Stop & Shop banner. In 2004 Ahold integrated the supermarkets with its subsidiary Giant Food LLC and created a combined company named Stop & Shop/Giant-Landover.
Stop & Shop became the most significant food retailer based in New England, operating more than 375 stores in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island as of 2010. That same year, Stop & Shop’s parent company, Ahold US, was plotting to relocate its corporate headquarters from Quincy, Massachusetts, to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to centralize its operations in one location.